Kaetrena Davis Kendrick, M.S.L.S.
University of South Carolina Lancaster
Song: “Play Me (소나타)”
Album Release Date: August 18, 2014
Press Play to Hear “Play Me (소나타)” by Taemin.
“Play Me (소나타)” echoes…
Song: “Rock the Boat”
Album Release Date: July 7, 2001
Press Play to hear “Rock the Boat” by Aaliyah.
ELEMENTS OF NOTE:
- Similar use of synthesizers to bring out “floating” feeling.
- Breathy vocals
- Artists background vocals augmented with lower melody/harmony registers. (“ 공기가 차네요 커튼을 쳐봐요 저 달이 봐요 어서 내 그림자를 입어요” (Taemin); “Baby, I love your stroke” (Aaliyah)
- Similar tempo and syncopation
- Songs have definitive end (no fade out).
- Aaliyah’s tempo carried by Latin percussive instruments (e.g, conga drums), beats, and rhythms vs. Taemin’s R&B -based human sounds (e.g. “finger-snapping”) bass drum and beats.
- Aaliyah’s beats filled out with hi-hats vs. Taemin’s fill-outs with guitar.
- Aaliyah’s one-note chorus line vs. Taemin’s varied chorus
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License