Kaetrena Davis Kendrick, M.S.L.S.
University of South Carolina Lancaster
Artist: Jonghyun (Kim Jonghyun)
Album: 좋아 (She Is)
Album Release Date: May 24, 2016
Caption: Press Play to Hear “Aurora” by Jonghyun.
Album: Brown Sugar
Album Release Date: July 4, 1995
Caption: Press Play to hear “Lady” by D’Angelo.
ELEMENTS OF NOTE:
- Clapping and jazz percussion
- Syncopated lyrics
- Lower vocal registers for stanza performance, falsetto for ad-libs and chorus
- Use of two- or three-part harmony
- Background vocals feature artist
- Both songs discuss willingness and confidence of being the best choice for the love interest and in turn, that the love interest represents his ideal (see English interpretation of “Aurora” lyrics)
- D’Angelo’s strong bass-line vs. Jonghyun’s use of bass drum and modulated guitars and bass.
- D’Angelo’s use of a catch-line (“I can tell they’re lookin’ at us”) to interrupt the traditional song composition vs. Jonghyun’s traditional lyric-chorus-lyric-chorus-bridge-chorus composition
- D’Angelo’s piano chords vs. Jonghyun’s synthesizers
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License